For the purpose of the Act, the data controller is eHarmony, Inc. of P.O. Box 241810, Los Angeles, CA 90024 USA.
What Information We Collect
The types of information that eHarmony collects fall under two general categories: personally identifiable information (PII) and non-personally identifiable information (non-PII), including, where relevant, sensitive information as defined in the Act. PII consists of any information which can be used to specifically identify you as an individual, whereas non-PII consists of aggregate information or any information that does not specifically identify you as an individual. The following sections describe how your PII and non-PII are collected by us, and how we use such information.
How We Collect and Use Information
- Log Files. Any time you visit any of our websites, our servers automatically gather information from your browser (such as your IP addresses, browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks) to analyze trends, administer the site, prevent fraud, track visitor movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information. For example, we may log your IP address for system administration purposes. IP addresses are logged to track a user’s session. This gives us an idea of which parts of our site users are visiting. We do not share the log files externally.
- Web Beacons. “Web beacons” (also known as “clear gifs” and “pixel tags”) are small transparent graphic images that are often used in conjunction with cookies in order to further personalize our website for our users and to collect a limited set of information about our visitors. We may also use web beacons in email communications in order to understand the behaviour of our customers. We do not link the web beacons to any PII.
- Purchase Information. To process purchases, we may require your name, address, phone number, email address and credit card information. eHarmony will only use your credit card and other financial details that you may supply for the e-commerce transaction authorised by you on the eHarmony site. Credit card transactions are processed through industry standard Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and/or strong encryption (3DES) by a third party, which only uses your information for that purpose.
- E-mails and Telephone Calls. eHarmony fully complies with the requirements of the Australian Spam Act 2003 (Cth). We require an e-mail address from you when you register for our services. We use your e-mail for both transactional (e.g., order confirmation, refund and renewal processing, notifying of matches for our Singles service) and promotional (e.g., newsletters, new product offerings, special discounts, event notifications, special third-party offers) purposes. E-mail messages we send you may contain code that enables our database to track your usage of the e-mails, including whether the e-mail was opened and what links (if any) were clicked. Your consent to our providing the promotional information will be implied unless you notify us that you do not wish to receive this information. If you would rather not receive promotional e-mails from us, please see the section below labeled “Choice/Opt-Out“. We reserve the right to send you certain communications relating to the eHarmony services, such as service announcements and administrative messages, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them. We may also contact you by telephone or text message (including to any wireless number you may provide to us) solely in connection with eHarmony’s services. If you would rather not receive telephone calls or text messages from us, you may delete your number from your account preferences page(s), or ask to be removed from our contact list if you receive a call or text message from us.
- Demographic Data. Demographic data is also collected at our site. We use this data to tailor our visitors’ experience at our site, showing them content that we think they might be interested in, and displaying the content according to their preferences. Some of this information may be shared with advertisers on a non-personally identifiable basis.
- Online Survey Data. We may periodically conduct voluntary member surveys. We encourage our members to participate in such surveys because they provide us with important information regarding the improvement of our services. You may also volunteer for certain surveys that we may offer to our users, and any additional rules regarding the conduct of such surveys will be disclosed to you prior to your participation. We do not link the survey responses to any PII, and all responses are anonymous.
- Information Regarding Your Friends. eHarmony encourages you to refer a friend to our service by sending us a friend’s name and email address. We will keep this information in our database, and send that person a one-time email containing your name and inviting them to visit our site. We will not send them additional emails unless they request more promotional emails or if they sign up for our services. This email will also include a quick and easy way for them to remove their information from our database, if they desire. We ask that you do not abuse this feature by entering names and addresses of those who would not be interested in eHarmony. You may also give gift memberships to your friends, in which case we will use your friends’ email address that you provide in order to deliver the gift.
- Public Forums. eHarmony makes discussion boards available to its users and visitors. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose any personally identifying information. Please consult our Community Guidelines when posting comments on the Advice discussion boards.
To request removal of your personal information from our blog or community forum, contact us at ehadvicealerts@eHarmony.com. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
- Use for Research. In addition to the uses outlined above, by using eHarmony.com.au, you agree to allow eHarmony to use anonymized information from you and your experiences through the Services to continue eHarmony’s research into successful relationships and to improve the Services. This research, conducted by psychologists and behaviour research scientists, may be published in academic journals. However, all of your responses will be kept anonymous, and no PII will ever be published. You can find out more about the standards we follow in conducting scientific research by clicking here.
Disclosure of Your Information to Third Parties
- Disclosure By Law. You acknowledge and agree that eHarmony may disclose information you provide if required or permitted to do so by law, or if we, in our sole discretion, believe that disclosure is necessary to (1) comply with the law, requests or orders from law enforcement, or any legal process; (2) protect or defend eHarmony’s rights; or (3) protect another person’s life, health or safety, such as when harm or violence against any person (including the user) is threatened.
- Information Transferred As a Result of Sale of Business. By registering with eHarmony you acknowledge that eHarmony may transfer your personal data to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries. We may also transfer your personal data to third parties in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may transfer your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets. In particular, if eHarmony or substantially all of its assets are acquired by another party, your PII may be part of the assets transferred to the acquiring party. In the case of any transfer of your PII, we will reconfirm your consent before any material changes are made to the way your PII is stored and used.
We may use third-party advertising agencies or other service providers to serve ads on our website on behalf of eHarmony or third-party advertisers (e.g., retailers of goods or services). These companies may employ cookies and beacons (also known as single pixel gifs or action tags) to measure advertising effectiveness. Any information that these third parties collect via cookies and beacons is completely anonymous. Some of these third-party advertising agencies may be members of the Network Advertising Initiative, which offers you the option to opt out of ad targeting from its member agencies at http://www.networkadvertising.org/consumer/opt_out.asp
Third Parties, with whom we partner to provide certain features on our site or to display advertising based upon your Web browsing activity, use Flash cookies to collect and store information.
Flash cookies are different from browser cookies because of the amount of, type of, and how data is stored. Cookie management tools provided by your browser will not remove Flash cookies. To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies click here:
Our age restrictions are set forth in our Terms and Conditions of Service. We do not allow people under the age of 18 to register for our service, although persons over the age of 13 may visit certain pages of our site. We will use all reasonable efforts to remove from our databases any information we may receive from users we believe to be under the age of 18.
eHarmony has extensive security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information stored in our database. These measures include the use of Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and/or strong encryption (3DES) technology during credit card transactions and administrative access to site data, as well as other proprietary security measures which are applied to all repositories and transfers of user information. We will exercise reasonable care in providing secure transmission of information between your computer and our servers, but given that no information transmitted over the Internet can be guaranteed 100% secure, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information transmitted to us over the Internet and to the extent allowed by law, we accept no liability for any unintentional disclosure.
Links to Other Sites
eHarmony is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of other websites that may be linked to this site or of any third party advertisers.
You can log in to our site using sign-in services such as Facebook Connect or an Open ID provider. These services will authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain personal information with us such as your name and email address to pre-populate our sign up form. Services like Facebook Connect give you the option to post information about your activities on this Web site to your profile page to share with others within your network.
We generally retain your PII only for so long as is necessary for the purpose for which it is used, or required by law. You may use the following options for removing your information from our e-mail database if you wish to opt out of receiving promotional e-mails and newsletters.
- Click on the “unsubscribe” link on the bottom of the e-mail;
- Send mail to the following postal address letting us know which promotional e-mails you wish to opt-out of:
For the eHarmony Singles service, select our Help link from your account home page and search our FAQ’s to find the answer you are looking for, or send us an e-mail and our Customer Care agents will be happy to assist you; or
P.O. Box 241810
Los Angeles, CA 90024 USA
For any services that allow you to control which e-mails you receive, access the e-mail settings page from your account home page and check your settings as needed.
Correct/Update/Delete Personal Information
eHarmony provides members with the opportunity to correct, update, or delete personal information that has been provided to us by using the methods below.
- Certain information (such as match settings, credit card, and email address updates) may be updated by logging in to your account and accessing your Account Settings page.
- eHarmony requires that some personal information updates (such as date of birth changes) be processed by our Customer Care group for verification purposes and to protect other members. In order make such personal information updates, please find our Customer Care contact information at the Help link for further assistance.
- To request deletion of your personal account information, please access our FAQ’s and follow the process under the relevant account deletion FAQ. Requests for personal information deletion are processed within 10 working days.
- You may also request an account information update by sending a detailed letter to the postal address listed above.
Contacting the Website
P.O. Box 241810, Los Angeles, CA 90024USA
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.