What Information We Collect
The types of information that we collect fall under two general categories: personally identifiable information (PII) and non-personally identifiable information (non-PII). PII consists of any information which can be used to specifically identify you as an individual, whereas non-PII consists of aggregate information or any information that does not reveal your identity. The following sections describe how your PII and non-PII are collected by us, and how we use such information.
How We Collect and Use Information
- Log Files. Any time you visit any of our websites, our servers automatically gather information from your browser (such as your IP addresses, browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks) to analyze trends, administer the site, prevent fraud, track visitor movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information. For example, we may log your IP address for system administration purposes. IP addresses are logged to track a user’s session. This gives us an idea of which parts of our site users are visiting. We do not share the log files externally.
- Web Beacons. “Web beacons” (also known as “clear gifs” and “pixel tags”) are small transparent graphic images that are often used in conjunction with cookies in order to further personalize our website for our users and to collect a limited set of information about our visitors. We may also use web beacons in email communications in order to understand the behavior of our customers. We do not link the web beacons to any PII.
- Mobile Analytics. We use mobile analytics software to allow us to better understand the functionality of our mobile software on your phone. This software may record information such as how often you use the application, the events that occur within the application, aggregated usage, performance data, and where the application was downloaded from. We do not link the information we store within the analytics software to any PII you submit within the mobile application.
- Information About You. When you register or subscribe to any of our services, we collect a wide variety of information about you. For our Singles service, for example, you provide us with answers to our proprietary questionnaire, and we use your answers to build a personality profile for you and to match you with other compatible singles. Your individual responses to the questions about your personality in our questionnaire will be held strictly confidential, while other non-PII about yourself (such as first name, occupation, height, etc.) will be used to build your "My Profile." We may also display your marital status and most recent log-in date and other profile/account information to your matches. Finally, for interactive content and community services such as Advice where you may choose to have a public profile, we may display your information to other community members and visitors. You may choose to provide us with your photo(s) or video(s) and by providing us such content, you agree that we may make them available to your matches and users of eHarmony’s services. Except as otherwise stated in this privacy statement, we do not disclose your PII to your matches or other users of our services.
- Purchase Information. To process purchases, we may require your name, address, phone number, email address and credit card information. Such information is used primarily to process your order or as otherwise described herein. Credit card transactions are processed through industry standard Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and/or strong encryption (3DES) by a third party, which only uses your information for that purpose.
- E-mails and Telephone Calls. We require an e-mail address from you when you register for our services. We use your e-mail for both transactional (e.g., order confirmation, refund and renewal processing, notifying of matches for our Singles service) and promotional (e.g., newsletters, new product offerings, special discounts, event notifications, special third-party offers) purposes. E-mail messages we send you may contain code that enables our database to track your usage of the e-mails, including whether the e-mail was opened and what links (if any) were clicked. If you would rather not receive promotional e-mails from us, please see the section below labeled “Choice/Opt-Out”. We reserve the right to send you certain communications relating to the eHarmony services, such as service announcements and administrative messages, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them. We may also contact you by telephone or text message (including to any wireless number you may provide to us) solely in connection with eHarmony’s services. If you would rather not receive telephone calls or text messages from us, you may change or delete your number from your account preferences page(s), or ask to be removed from our contact list if you receive a call or text message from us. We fully comply with the requirements of the U.S. CAN-SPAM Act.
- Mobile Device If you use a mobile device to access our site or download any of our applications, we may collect device information (such as your mobile device ID, model and manufacturer), operating system and version information, and IP address. We collect your geolocational information only upon your consent.
- Demographic Data. Demographic data is also collected at our site. We use this data to tailor our visitors’ experience at our site, showing them content that we think they might be interested in, and displaying the content according to their preferences. Some of this information may be shared with advertisers on a non-personally identifiable basis.
- Online Survey Data. We may periodically conduct voluntary member surveys. We encourage our members to participate in such surveys because they provide us with important information regarding the improvement of our services. You may also volunteer for certain surveys that we may offer to our users, and any additional rules regarding the conduct of such surveys will be disclosed to you prior to your participation. We do not link the survey responses to any PII, and all responses are anonymous.
- Information Regarding Your Friends. We encourage you to refer a friend to our Singles service by sending us a friend’s name and email address. We will keep this information in our database, and send that person a one-time e-mail containing your name and inviting them to visit our site. This e-mail will also include instructions on how to remove their information from our database. You agree that you will not abuse this feature by entering names and addresses of those who would not be interested in eHarmony’s services. For some of our services, you may also give gift memberships to your friends, in which case we will use your friends’ e-mail address that you provide in order to deliver the gift.
- Public Forums. Our Advice blog contains posts which are relevant to dating and relationships and is available to our users and visitors. Any information that is disclosed in the comments section of any Advice post becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose any PII. Please consult the community guidelines for each eHarmony discussion board when posting comments on them for other specific information. To request removal of your personal information from our blog, contact us at ehadvicealerts@eHarmony.com. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so.
- Use for Research. In addition to the uses outlined above, by using our site, you agree to allow us to anonymously use the information from you and your experiences to continue our research into successful relationships. This research, conducted by psychologists and behavior research scientists, may be published in academic journals. However, all of your responses will be kept anonymous, and no PII will be published. You can find out more about the standards we follow in conducting scientific research by clicking here.
Mobile Device Additional Terms
- Mobile Device If you use a mobile device to access our site or download any of our applications, we may collect device information (such as your mobile device ID, model and manufacturer), operating system and version information, and IP address.
- Geo-Location Information. We do not ask you for, access or track any location-based information from your mobile device at any time while downloading or using our Mobile Apps or services.
- Push Notifications. We send you push notifications if you choose to receive them for notifying you of matches for our singles service, letting you know when someone has sent you a message, or for other service-related matters. If you wish to opt-out from receiving these types of communications you may turn them off at the device level.
Disclosure of Your Information to Third Parties
- Disclosure By Law. You acknowledge and agree that we may disclose information you provide if required to do so by law, at the request of a third party, or if we, in our sole discretion, believe that disclosure is reasonable to (1) comply with the law, requests or orders from law enforcement, or any legal process (whether or not such disclosure is required by applicable law); (2) protect or defend eHarmony’s, or a third party’s, rights or property; or (3) protect someone’s health or safety, such as when harm or violence against any person (including you) is threatened.
- Disclosure to Protect Abuse Victims. Notwithstanding any other provision of this privacy statement or our Terms and Conditions of Service, we reserve the right, but have no obligation, to disclose any information that you submit to the services, if in our sole opinion, we suspect or have reason to suspect, that the information involves a party who may be the victim of abuse in any form. Abuse may include, without limitation, elder abuse, child abuse, spousal abuse, neglect, or domestic violence. Information may be disclosed to authorities that we, in our sole discretion, deem appropriate to handle such disclosure. Appropriate authorities may include, without limitation, law enforcement agencies, child protection agencies, or court officials. You hereby acknowledge and agree that we are permitted to make such disclosure.
- Disclosure to Trusted Third Parties By Us. We may share your non-PII with third parties, but not in a manner that would reveal your identity. We may share your PII, sometimes in conjunction with your non-PII, with service providers that may be associated with us to perform functions on our behalf. For example, outsourced customer care agents or technology assistants may need access to your information to perform services for you. Your information will be treated as private and confidential by such service providers and not used for any other purpose than we authorize. In addition, from time to time, we may share PII (such as e-mail or mailing address) about our user base with carefully selected third parties, so they can offer goods and services that we believe may be of interest to our users. If you do not wish to receive offers from our trusted partners, you can change your e-mail preferences at any time by following the steps outlined in the “Choice/Opt-Out” section below.
- Information Transferred As a Result of Sale of Business. As we develop our business, we may buy or sell assets and, depending on the transaction, your PII may be one of the transferred assets. In the event that we are acquired by another company, your PII may be part of the assets transferred to the acquiring party. If this occurs, you will be notified if there are any material changes to the way your PII is collected or used.
We may use third-party advertising agencies or other service providers to serve ads on our website on behalf of eHarmony or third-party advertisers (e.g., retailers of goods or services). These companies may employ cookies and web beacons to measure advertising effectiveness. Any information that these third parties collect via cookies and web beacons is completely anonymous. Some of these third-party advertising agencies may be members of the Network Advertising Initiative, which offers you the option to opt out of ad targeting from its member agencies by following the procedures listed here.
Third Parties, with whom we partner to provide certain features on our site or to display advertising based upon your Web browsing activity, use Flash cookies to collect and store information.
Flash cookies are different from browser cookies because of the amount of, type of, and how data is stored. Cookie management tools provided by your browser will not remove Flash cookies. To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies click here:
We will only share your information with third parties in the ways defined in this privacy statement.
Our age restrictions are set forth in our Terms and Conditions of Service. We do not allow people under the age of 18 to register for our service, although persons over the age of 13 may visit certain pages of our site. We will use all reasonable efforts to remove from our databases any information we may receive from users we believe to be under the age of 18.
We have extensive security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information stored in our database. These measures include the use of Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and/or strong encryption (3DES) technology during credit card transactions and administrative access to site data, as well as other proprietary security measures which are applied to all repositories and transfers of user information. We will exercise reasonable care in providing secure transmission of information between your computer and our servers, but given that no information transmitted over the Internet can be guaranteed 100% secure, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information transmitted to us over the Internet and hence accept no liability for any unintentional disclosure.
Links to or Access from Other Sites
eHarmony is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of other websites that may be linked to this site or of any third party advertisers.
You can log in to our site using sign-in services such as Facebook Connect or an Open ID provider. These services will authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain personal information with us such as your name and email address to pre-populate our sign up form. Services like Facebook Connect give you the option to post information about your activities on this Web site to your profile page to share with others within your network.
We generally retain your PII only for so long as is necessary for the purpose for which it is used, or required by law. You may use the following options for removing your information from our e-mail database if you wish to opt out of receiving promotional e-mails and newsletters.
- Click on the “unsubscribe” link on the bottom of the e-mail;
- Send mail to the following postal address letting us know which promotional e-mails you wish to opt-out of:
P.O. Box 241810
Los Angeles, CA 90024 USA
- For the eHarmony Singles service, select our Help link from your account home page and search our FAQ's to find the answer you are looking for, or send us an e-mail and our Customer Care agents will be happy to assist you; or
- For any services that allow you to control which e-mails you receive, go to the e-mail settings page from your account home page, and un-check the undesired promotions.
Correct/Update/Delete personal Information
eHarmony provides members with the opportunity to correct, update, or delete personal information that has been provided to us by using the methods below.
- Certain information (such as match settings, credit card, and email address updates) may be updated by logging in to your account and accessing your Account Settings page.
- eHarmony requires that some personal information updates (such as date of birth changes) be processed by our Customer Care group for verification purposes and to protect other members. In order make such personal information updates, please find our Customer Care contact information at the Help link for further assistance.
- To request deletion of your personal account information, please access our FAQ’s and follow the process under the relevant account deletion FAQ. Requests for personal information deletion are processed within 10 working days.
- You may also request an account information update by sending a detailed letter to the postal address listed above.
Acceptance of Privacy Statement
Your use of our website(s), including any dispute concerning privacy, is subject to this privacy statement and the applicable Terms and Conditions of Service.
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.
This privacy statement was last revised on December 7, 2016.