Chronicles of an Internet Dater Part 6: The End
By Eve Wilson
Well this is it! I have spilled the beans about my internet dating adventures in Eve’s 30 Dates, found The One, and am ridiculously happy. Although I cannot sign off completely until I have dished out my top tips for internet dating, which will hopefully assist you in this fun, crazy, unpredictable journey.
Top tips to internet dating
1. Choose your dating site carefully – Ask yourself “What do I want out of this?”, and make sure that aligns with the site you select. If you’re really looking for a relationship or a deeper connection, choose a service that matches you with people based on compatibility, like here on eHarmony, rather than letting people choose on the basis of looks. If you’re just after something short-term or casual, you should make that clear as well.
2. Make sure your profile picture is recent and clear (not from 10 years ago). Smile! And don’t Photoshop it. Your matches are going to see exactly what you look like when they meet you in person, so there’s no need to pretend to be someone you’re not. It will only end in tears, trust me!
3. Never give out your address. Your privacy is important. Protect it.
4. ALWAYS meet in a public place for your first date. Be sure there will be other people nearby, and do something you and your date both enjoy and are comfortable with.
5. Make sure to tell someone where you are going. Give them details of the person you are meeting. You’ve seen the detective shows – be sure to provide clues.
6. Trust your instincts. If you think someone sounds dodgy, you’re probably right.
7. We all have nerves before a date, but if you absolutely need some liquid courage, limit yourself to one drink only. An entire bottle is a big no-no. I found that one out the hard way on date #13. Lesson Learned!
8. Be honest with yourself, and your date. If you know there’s no chemistry between you and your match, let them know sooner rather than later. Don’t give him or her false hope, or worse, leave them waiting for an email or phone call that will never come.
9. Have an escape plan for every first date. Be sure to have somewhere else to be or another commitment which you can use as a bona fide excuse to get away, rather than having to invent something at the last moment or suffer through a terrible date.
10. Don’t always go for your ‘type’; there’s a reason your type hasn’t worked out in the past. Keep an open mind. People can surprise you, if you give them a chance.
11. Do not add prospective dates as Facebook friends. They will be able to see who your friends are, and what you have been doing lately. This is too much information too soon, and can make you seem too eager.
12. Do not juggle multiple prospects at the same time. This is a recipe for disaster and boy didn’t I find that out the hard way! You should commit to one relationship at a time, even if it’s a very short relationship. You wouldn’t like to be treated like this, so best not to do it to others.
13. Don’t judge a book by its cover. Photos can be very misleading. Also, refer to point #10 about not always going for your type.
14. Finally and most importantly: have fun! The more you focus on finding ‘the perfect mate’, the less fun you’ll have. Treat every person as a new friend, and if there’s an attraction that’s a real bonus.
So there you have it, folks: my ‘rules’ to internet dating. It did take me a long time to recognise them and eventually put them into practice, but I did, and look where it got me – blissfully happy and engaged to The One.
So go ahead, take a chance and have fun! I sincerely hope you find Your One very soon. On that note, goodbye, good luck, and happy dating!
You can catch up on Eve’s journey here.
If this article gave you the confidence to find your match, try eharmony today!Join Now