NZ dating can feel like an uncertain prospect to many Kiwis, particularly outside the major cities. It’s a small country with a somewhat reserved culture and many singles complain about dating in circles. But with over 2.6 million singles in the country and over 800,000 in Auckland alone1, perhaps people aren’t casting their net wide enough. Let’s explore how you can date more widely and effectively.
Table of content:
The modern New Zealand dating scene
For many wondering ‘is dating easy in New Zealand?’, the sometimes casual approach to dating culture is often blamed. The dating scene is dominated by nightlife, with Auckland and Wellington having the most active. It’s how many New Zealand couples meet alongside some kind of dating site in NZ.
Like many comparable countries, marriage rates have been steadily declining. But long-term cohabitations have conversely been on the rise, almost to the point of having completely counterbalanced the marriage trend. Birth rates have also generally followed world trends2, showing that many of these relationships essentially function as marriages and New Zealanders are just reexamining how they define long-term commitment.
Using a dating site in NZ vs traditional dating
Traditional dating can be a hassle. Many singles in New Zealand are hesitant to approach each other in certain social settings, making it difficult to form new connections.
They also suffer from traditional dating maladies like trying to find time to date in between commitments. Socialising to meet new NZ dating prospects can also be a strain on your finances, which can be frustrating if you’re not meeting the kinds of singles that interest you.
Growing trend of trying a dating site in NZ
With the proliferation and availability of free dating sites in NZ, many Kiwi singles are taking things online. Using a dating site in NZ lets you cut out most of the timewasting of traditional dating, so you can connect with singles at any time, from any place, whether it’s while on a break at work or on a weekend trip.
There’s also less guesswork on people’s relationship status. On dating apps, you only interact with people who are single and looking for the same thing as you. More than that, you get a complete picture of the dating landscape in your city.
Here’s how eharmony gives you even more control over that journey.
NZ dating done right through eharmony
So what’s the best dating site in NZ? Well, that depends on your dating goals and style. What we can say is that eharmony has been the premier online destination for authentic singles looking for a lasting relationship with someone who truly gets them for over 20 years.
Unlike your typical dating site in NZ, we don’t provide you with an endless list of dating options but rather a scientifically curated list of compatible, eligible singles who suit the deeper aspects of your personality, as selected by our Compatibility Matching System. This is why every 14 minutes, someone finds love on eharmony.3
How we make NZ dating easier
- Compatibility-based matching based on 32 Dimensions of Compatibility
- A very large member base in New Zealand and most countries
- Powerful filters that let you hone in on matches based on age, location, religion, height, income level, education, desire for children and much more
- Profiles designed to get to the heart of the person as well as explain your potential connection
How easy is it to sign up?
- You can sign up on our site or download our app
- Then complete our 20-minute Compatibility Quiz. This is how we get to know you and your needs better, generating a Personality Profile that our Compatibility Matching System uses to find compatible NZ dating opportunities
- Set up your profile. Use some flattering, recent pictures and give some insight into your passions and lifestyle
- Check the Discover section to see other members. Use your filters to take more control or simply sort them by their Compatibility Score. You have access to all Personality Profiles in your list
- Once you find someone you like, reach out. Say ‘Hi’ or use one of many other communication features like Icebreakers to start the conversation
It’s that easy.
Some top-tier New Zealand date ideas
Now you’ve found someone on eharmony and you’re looking for some date ideas. You’ll want to surprise them a bit while keeping them in their comfort zone for the ideal date. Here are a few suggestions:
- The Odyssey Sensory Maze in Auckland is both a visual treat and an adventure
- Explore the various galleries and the underground market at Wellington Quay
- Ride the Ferris Wheel together at Rainbow’s End theme park in Auckland
- Get a private karaoke room and sing together at Kzone in Wellington
- Take a catered and truly magical glow worm kayak tour in Tauranga
- Pack a lush picnic and head to Hamilton Gardens in Hamilton
- Enjoy some award-winning fine dining at Bacchus Wine Bar in Dunedin
- Dine while exploring Christchurch on the Christchurch Tramway Restaurant
- Enjoy premium cocktails and classic board games at the Peach Pit in Auckland
- Enjoy a boutique luxury cinema experience at Lumiere Cinema in Christchurch
Get something lasting and real from your NZ dating experience
The NZ dating scene is all about finding people that like what you do and fit your personality. Let eharmony help you turn the volume down on the dating scene so you can find a lasting relationship with someone who suits you, from the inside out. Join now.